Wednesday 19 March 2014

Successful vs. Unsuccessful


A friend of mine who teaches salespeople how to be better leaders and increase their sales posted this meme on FACEBOOK. It is pretty self-explanatory showing the difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Now I know that we could get into a long discussion about what quantifies success, but based on my friend's profession, I would say that the meaning of success in this meme revolves around qualities found in leaders.

As I read this list (which I don't totally agree with btw because I know successful people watch TV too) it occurred to me that a similar list could be made for churches that are successful and churches that are unsuccessful.


Successful Churches
Actively involved in mission
Are inclusive of others
Embrace change
Seek ways to go to community
Rely on God's leading for direction
See outreach as responsibility of all
Have articulated goals and plans they accomplish

Unsuccessful Churches
Let others do mission
Are exclusive of others
Fear change
Community must come to us
Rely on traditions for direction
See outreach as responsibility of the clergy
Seldom set and accomplish goals


As I wrote out this list it occurred to me that a similar list could be made for the successful and unsuccessful disciple of Christ as well. (Warning: This may hit close to home!)

Successful Disciple
Spends time with God everyday
Looks to build others up/encourage
Forgives others
Always wanting to learn more about God
Have an attitude of gratitude
Seek God before setting goals and making plans
Take responsibility if their church is unsuccessful

Unsuccessful Disciples
Seldom spend time with God
Tear others down/Gossip
Hold grudges
Think they know all they need to know about God
Have an attitude of entitlement
Seldom seek God before setting goals and making plans
Blame others (often pastor) if their church is unsuccessful

What do you think? Is there anything that needs to be added or removed from the lists? Let me know.

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Too simplistic for my liking. I wish you hadn't linked successful disciples and unsuccessful churches with the "takes responsibility if their church is unsuccessful", I wonder if perhaps "accepts a role in the flourishing (or not) of their church" might fit. I also wonder if something more should be added about character development / maturity / grace / people vs. programs

    ReplyDelete